Wednesday 1 August 2012

Pan Fried Salmon in Creamy Vermouth Sauce


I am slowly finding the motivation to lose the whole stone I have gained in the last 3 months since losing my mum. Everyone keeps telling me that it's ok to put on weight during this time, but it doesn't make you feel any better about yourself and my back is giving me trouble because I am so unfit. So it's back to Zumba for me and eating healthy but tasty to shift these excess lbs. I hope to start adding some more really tasty recipes to my food blog over the next few weeks.



At the moment the eating tasty part is absolutely crucial. I need to re-realise that with my style of cooking, following Weightwatchers means you do not miss out. I cooked this dish for the first time a few weeks ago for my husband and my father-in-law. At this time, my Father-in-law was ill and was staying with us. His 'mmms' meant that my dinner met his seal of approval, despite the fact his favourite meal was a nice pork chop or sirloin steak with a nice bit of fat around the meat. Sadly he passed away shortly after this (just 2 months after my mum). I'll always think of him when I carefully remove any fat from my meat in future, sadly now it will stay on the side of my plate and won't be on his.

This meal is based on a classic dish of fish in a creamy herb sauce, but it really is so simple to make it lower fat and WeightWatcher friendly with my little adaptations.

You'll need for 2:
  • 2 x 115g salmon fillets, skin on
  • Fry light spray
  • 400g new potatoes
  • Green beans / spinach / asparagus / kale / greens of your choice
  • 1 tbsp dry vermouth
  • 2-3 tbsp half fat creme fraiche
  • 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
  • Squeeze of lemon
  • Small handful of chopped chives / parsley / tarragon
  • 1 cup chicken stock (made using cube or stock pot or concentrate)
  • Seasoning

Method:

  • Put the potatoes in a pan of cold salted water and bring to the boil. Boil until tender. This should take about 20 minutes once boiling.
  • After about 15 minutes, heat a non-stick frying pan. Spray with fry light. Pat dry the salmon fillets with some kitchen towel and season. Place the fillets skin side down in the frying pan and cook for 5 - 8 minutes. Turn and reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook. I like my salmon pink in the middle so 8-10 minutes should do it depending on the thickness. You can finish the salmon off in a hot oven for a few minutes to ensure it is cooked through if you prefer.
  • Drain the potatoes in a colander and allow to steam dry for a few minutes
  • Remove the salmon and keep warm on warmed plates whilst you make the sauce
  • In the frying pan add the vermouth and after a few seconds add the chicken stock and boil away to reduce slightly. If using fine green beans or fine asparagus you can add these into the stock to cook for a couple of minutes so they maintain their bite. They will absorb the lovely flavours from the stock too. 
Asparagus cooking in the stock
  • Remove the veg to the plates and season the sauce with plenty of black pepper and add the freshly chopped herbs. Take off the heat and add a squeeze of lemon and the half fat creme fraiche. Stir well and pour over the salmon and vegetables.
  • Serve with the new potatoes
WeightWatchers ProPoints Per Serving: 12

4 comments:

  1. First of all, I would like to express my deepest sympathy for your loss. But I'm glad to know that you are now back on track in continuing to stay fit. This recipe looks absolutely delicious and guilt-free because it's going to help your diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind comment. Let me know if you try the recipe out at all. regards, Julia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe is really a delicious one and very healthy too..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healthy Food Street
    www.healthyfoodstreet.blogspot.com
    Find Health and Food information. Men health tips, Women's Health care and children health tips. Variety of articles on Healthy Diet Tips, Weight Loss programs and Healthy Recipes are here. For more details visit the following detail articles:-


    Health Tips

    Health Diet

    Men Health

    Weight Loss

    Women Health

    Juices Benefits

    Fruits Benefits

    Healthy Recipes

    Healthy Benefits

    Healthy Diet Tips

    Health and Food information

    ReplyDelete