Tuesday 28 June 2011

Mum's Devilled Kidneys

I've watched tonnes of cookery programmes and read loads of recipe books.  I've lost count of the times on TV or in print, I have witnessed a well known chef quoting their mother's or grandmother's recipe as the best ever and the recipe they will showcase given a chance.  There is something inside us which makes us want to learn and long for those childhood comforting recipes.  My sister and my dad are vegetarians and mum rarely cooks something interesting for herself nowadays. Like many mothers, mine cannot understand portion control and is only physically capable of cooking on mass.  This bodes well for me as often we end up with a box of surprise food! 

I took it upon myself a few years ago to start learning my mum's repertoire.  I blogged last month about mum's chicken curry which you can see by clicking here. I decided to observe the kidney making today and will hopefully introduce my kids to this delightful dish at some point.

You'll need for 2 people:
  • 1 pack 450g lambs kidneys
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1/2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp minced ginger
  • 3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp malt vinegar
  • 1 level tsp garam masala
  • 2 tsp sunflower or vegetable oil
  • Salt & ground black pepper
What to do:

Prepare the kidneys by slicing each half into thirds moving inwards towards the sinew tough bit in the middle.  Cut as close to the centre as possible to minimise waste.

In a saucepan, heat the oil and fry the onions until golden.  Add the kidneys and brown all over. 

Next add the garlic, ginger, garam masala, salt and pepper.  Also add theworcestershire sauce & malt vinegar.  According to my mum, the vinegar helps to neutralise the offal smell.  Season to taste.

Leave with a lid on to simmer for 10 minutes.  You can add a little water if you like but the juices that are ommiteed in cooking plus the worcestershire sauce create a wonderful gravy, which is just delicious mopped up with some fresh crusty white bread.

I like to serve these kidneys with boiled new potatoes and some steamed brocolli, although I must confess to wiping the plate clean with a piece of leftover baguette.

Weightwatchers Propoints Per Serving: 6 for the kidneys, add 4 PP for 220g new potatoes and 0 PP for steamed vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment