Wednesday 15 June 2011

Moussaka

My hubby LOVES aubergines!  I too am fond of this unusual vegetable and incidently so is my Tesco delivery driver as he practically drooled over the 3 I unloaded from my shopping quizzing me how I was going to cook them.

I had been wanting to cook a Moussaka for a long time but of course needed to find a recipe that balanced out great flavour without busting the diet.  In my research I relied upon my trusty BBC Good Food website and found their Must-Make Moussaka recipe, but in typical fashion I set about improving it and adding my taste.  The result was met with silence at the dinner table as we both tucked in delightfully.

You'll need for 4 people:

  • 1 large aubergine
  • 1 small –medium sized onion, finely diced
  • 1-2 garlic cloves, bashed
  • Half a punnet mushrooms, chopped
  • 1 small courgette, diced
  • 400g lamb mince
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 400g tin chopped tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp tomato puree
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 200g pot 0% fat Greek yogurt
  • 1 medium egg
  • 30g grated parmesan or reduced fat cheddar
  • Pinch of nutmeg
  • Seasoning

Sliced the aubergine into thin ¼ cm slices.  Spray with olive oil or brush lightly using 1 tsp of oil.  Season with salt and then griddle until cooked through and soft.  This should take 1-2 minutes on each side.  Set aside.

Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan and fry the onion and garlic until soft.  Add the mushrooms and courgettes and continue to stir fry over a moderate heat.  Add the lamb mince and brown all over.  Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs and spices and cook for 15 – 20 minutes.

Mix together the yogurt, cheese, nutmeg and some seasoning.

In an ovenproof dish, spread half the lamb mixture on the bottom.  Next add half the aubergine slices and then repeat. Top with the yoghurt mixture.  All of this can be prepared in advance.

Bake in a hot oven at 200 – 210 c for approx 15 minutes.

Serve with 150g boiled new potatoes per person or 115g cooked couscous (30g dried) per person.  for a lighter supper or lunch you could serve with a green salad and fat free dressing. 

Weight Watchers Propoints: 8 per Moussaka serving

No comments:

Post a Comment